Monday, February 13, 2012

Therapy/Growth: Thomas Dolby.

Well, I feel like I should apologize for the utter lack of regular posting. A few months ago I wanted to shoot for a post a week... I'll be lucky if you guys get a post a month.
I don't know. Between work and just life in general, I haven't been feeling all that artistic. I've been having lots of artist's block with a few sparse moments of reprieve.

My project of creating art for all the Thomas Dolby songs is still active, so don't worry about that. It's just that lately, I have been in the middle of a musical merry go round that consists of Duran Duran, Thomas Dolby, A-ha, and Icehouse. I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older, but I don't seem to settle on just one obsession at a time (I hesitate to call it that because what I'm in now pales in comparison to some of my old obsessions). I've always had the habit of cycling through different obsessions; finding new ones, coming back to some, leaving some behind for a while, then coming back round to an old one but it seems the timeframe in which this happens has sped up a bit.

Even to the point where I simultaneously have three or four obsessions going on at the same time, which gets very confusing. XD
Anyway, the art. If you've been around me long enough you'll be used to the fact that I'm long winded... In any case, I apologize.

This newest piece of art includes a lyric which was taken from a demo that was included on the 2009 remastered re-release of "The Golden Age of Wireless", the Thomas Dolby album which also includes that infamous song... something about being blinded by science. Whatever.


I am fairly happy with the result, but I would like to try redoing this piece on a larger piece of sketchbook paper, and with maybe a little more attention to anatomy. I had the thought of making the dress look more like space, with stars and little planets and whatnot, but that idea might be best suited for the redo, if I ever get around do it.

That might be something to do in periods of art block. Finding old pieces I think I can do better and taking a crack at redoing them.

Anyway, I hate to say this, but I should probably log off and finish getting ready for work. I don't work until 11:15 but we have to leave a bit early, on account of the snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment